Conway Historic Preservation Plan
Located 30 miles northwest of Little Rock, Conway is a community of 65,000 people with three colleges and a vibrant historic downtown. The City has a robust preservation program, but the Walker Collaborative (TWC) was hired to prepare a plan to improve upon that existing program.
Thomason & Associates served as subconsultants on the project.
The public engagement process included an online public opinion survey, as well as multiple meetings and workshops. Key recommendations included:
• initiate a public education process for Conway’s preservation program;
• require title companies to inform buyers about preservation regulation;
• pursue local historic distric designation for downtown and other NR districts;
• make various adjustments to the HDS’s review and approval process;
• promote and improve presrvation incentives.