Fort Madison, Iowa
Fort Madison Preservation, Interpretation, and Management Plan
Fort Madison was established in 1808 by the US military as a trading post on the Mississippi River, but relations with Native Americans deteriorated during the War of 1812. Following a series of conflicts and sieges, the troops evacuated and burned the fort in 1813. By the late-1800s, development occupied the fort site and adjacent battlefield, but in 1983 a replica of the fort was constructed nearby.
In 2014, the City secured a grant from the NPS’s American Battlefield Protection Program.
This grant was used to prepare a plan to preserve, interpret and manage the historic fort and battlefield sites – both private owned and paved for parking. The Walker Collaborative was hired for the plan, and recommendations included detailed steps for implementation, management and costs. Because of the interest this project sparked, by the time of the plan’s presentation, the battlefield site had been secured and protected. Additional funding was raised to implement other components of the plan.